Saturday 28 June 2014

Countryside, Farmside Markets and Outdoor Bars


So today I went to D'Kranji Resort for a chalet gathering with my maternal relatives to celebrate an uncle's and cousin's birthday.

I've never been to this part of Singapore before and honestly I love this place - it's like the best chalet, better than the beach-themed ones in Pasir Ris. There were farms, prawneries(?) and fisheries, a market bazaar selling farm produce and an outdoor pub! 
The place had such a nice ambience to it I decided to go round and take some photos but the sun set pretty quickly and I didn't get to take much, sadly.











I love places like this - relaxed and...organic? The big attraction there was the Farmside market where people were just going around looking at fresh vegetables and herbs, glass bottles of jam, fruit tea, seafood, flowers, seeds etc, and it felt like everyone there was a whole big familial community just going around offering samples like granola seeds and boiled mussels for all to share.

There were children running freely around, clambering on the tractor on the pavement while parents just sit and talk. People brought their dogs and parrots even. When night came, the crowds subsided and the stores closed. You could see stars in the sky and hear the distant music coming from the outdoor pub and water running in the prawneries and fisheries. 

I thought to myself that it'd be nice to bring a special person here one day cos he'd probably like it here as much as I do. Away from the worries of cold civilisation and into the fields.

We'd just enjoy the atmosphere, talk and enjoy each other's company while fishing or prawning, sit at the pub and listen to music over some drinks, watch the stars over some food and just let ourselves sink, blend and disappear into the scenery and the setting all around, just as we are as ourselves.

I'll be back there someday.

Anyway, I'll be turning 18 in about a week's time! I still feel 16 though, not quite ready to be the adult I always impatiently wanted to be as a carefree, ignorant young lass. 

Of course there's the usual typical 18th birthday cheer of "yeahhhh I'm finally legal to drink and to drive (not drink drive LOL)" but as much as that sounds like a big deal, I believe being 18 entails a lot more. Maybe cos I already drink before the legal age but OH WELL :) 

At 18 I want to strive to be strong and fearless. Reading back a few posts I realise that I'm still a girl bound by the mistakes of her past - always fearing the opinions of others just because of a few insignificant rubbish-mouthed school girls from secondary school who I always nearly believed ruined the enjoyment of my school life. 

Now that they are out of my life I still fear. But I want to be someone who is unfazed by others around, to be someone who will show you who I really am despite what they say, to be someone who loves me. 







No comments:

Post a Comment