Saturday 2 July 2016

JSS FSC 2016: キラキラ青春 Kira Kira Seishun


Blazing sun, azure skies, glittering sea, the trickling of laughter, the scraping of slippers as we ran...

これは...私たちのキラキラ青春だね
trans. This is our glittering youth isn't it

I just returned from a 4D3N camp with the JSS peeps on Friday...AND IT WAS THE BEST. I haven't had time to properly sit down and write a post on this awesome camp because I had to tutor, catch up on the anime episodes I missed this week (priorities, priorities), and of course catch up on sleep. It's been a long while since I had so much fun, and I'm missing everyone already even though it won't be long till we meet again either at some post-camp outing or at school. This experience wouldn't have been possible without everyone there in the picture - the project directors, programme committee, OGLs, logistics, publicity, helpers and most importantly the freshmen themselves.

The pre-camp which was 2 weeks ago was great, but on Tuesday when we all met at 9am before the freshies arrived we were still a little nervous as to how we'd make a great experience with the freshies. I was half-expecting a bunch of really shy, passive people since that was the case for my own freshman camp last year. However, these cute kouhais (juniors) exceeded my expectations. Bjorn and I were to facilitate the first warm-up game of Double Whacko and to my surprise some of the freshies were already at the stage where they were teasing each other. 

They were really good sport and participated enthusiastically (and shamelessly) in another game I took with Jamie, which was 'Maid Cafe'. They had to dress up and act like maids, and try to charm their customers with the scripts we adapted from Kaichou wa Maid-sama. A bunch of us OGLs and helpers were just squealing and video-ing to our hearts' delight as the freshies channelled their inner moe-ness LOL >< 

The freshies this year had more guys than girls, so each of the 4 OGs only had 1 girl and about 2-3 guys. Yet I noticed that the guys didn't just go off on their own and exclude the girls in their groups. My favourite memory of that was when I saw how the boys in Rilakkuma who seemed more "rabak" were very nice and patient to Sarah, the girl in their team. They would make sure she wasn't lagging behind at times, and even guided her on how to handle a nerf gun at the shooting game. Truly, if it weren't for the freshies who were so inclusive, this camp wouldn't have been as successful. 

The project directors and committee members worked really hard too. Of all, I respect Kah Hui-senpai the most. She's always so calm and selfless even though she has so many things to take care of. When there weren't enough beds on the second night at the girls dorm, she gave up her bed and slept in a sleeping bed. I only realised this when I awoke the next morning to see her curled up in her sleeping bag. We were rushing out the souvenir booklets too, drawing decorations and sticking the OG photos in. As we were doing that, some girls were greatly affected by a huge roach they saw in the toilet during wash-up and Kah Hui very coolly got up and went to get rid of it in a jiffy. I was thinking to myself that we'd be nothing if Kah Hui wasn't with us in this camp :')

On the last night of the camp after the OG performances, the committee members, helpers (basically everyone other than the freshies) got together for photos, after which we kinda went crazy and began to form a circle to do some really funny but empowering cheer. It really helps that majority of us were pretty crazy and so it wasn't all to difficult to launch into some extreme festive mood. I love every single one of them :")

All in all, I don't regret ever signing up to help at this year's camp. Initially I was apprehensive because I felt that last year's camp didn't really end with hyped emotions and therefore I didn't participate much in JSS activities after. But with this camp, I'm pretty positive they'll see my face more often now LOL. I kinda became recognised as a very blur aunty character through this camp too somehow and now the others wouldn't let me hear the end of all the teasings T_T

This is indeed my キラキラ青春 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment