Sunday 17 August 2014

All Things Japanese


First and foremost THIS IS NOT WRITTEN BY ME so any of you who know of my eyecandy crush on a senior last year had better not have ideas that I'm still all lost in love etc. I happened to spot this note among others written and hung up for Tanabata festival at Liang Court where I go every Sunday, and felt it was very Japanese anime-like :D

Okay since I said it, yes I had a sort of minor crush on a senior of mine who was in the same CCA last year. I've probably hinted about it here and there in previous posts but since I'm all over that hilarious phase now there's no harm coming out to admit that yes, I was once upon a time a distracted, almost obsessed girl who had a cute senior on her mind when idle and went to great lengths to stalk him on whatever available social platforms, blush considerably when she saw him in school and couldn't say hi at all, and basically made a big fool of herself spazzing. I can imagine you recoiling in disgust now but trust me, if you're a guy, plenty of girls out there do it (it's "research" you see) and if you're a girl, DON'T DENY IT! 

I'm writing out this post on my phone now when I should be resting, but I just felt like writing and it wouldn't be good to deny the urge to write. I'm down with the early stages of flu so I won't be attending school tmr - I'll be visiting a doctor sigh.:(

So earlier this evening I sat through 1.5h of the National Day Rally with my family, and when PM Lee talked about the plans on developing Jurong, my mind was stuck at Japanese Garden (which is in Jurong). I've always told myself I'd visit the garden but it always slipped my mind (so I typed it in a note on my phone!). 

Then I had this thought: Why don't we have Japanese festivals at Japanese Garden? You know, those you see in animes and mangas where there's goldfish catching stands, takoyaki,okonomiyaki,yakisoba food stands (my stomach just growled), people wearing yukatas and FIREWORKS! There's plenty space for that, plus the setting fits it SO WELL. 

I went to google up any Jap festivals that was ever held in Singapore, and found that apparently there is a Summer Festival known as Natsu Matsuri organised my the Japanese Association Singapore annually at a local Jap school. This year's Natsu Matsuri is on 23 Aug, Sat at a Jap school in Changi, which is such a waste when we have a lovely Japanese Garden here in the West. Probably it's because it's easier and cheaper to rent the location of a school compared to a public park.

Oh, this brings me to the next point - I want to go for Natsu Matsuri next year!! Entrance fee is $4 (so much cheaper than your cheapest AFA entrance ticket priced at $8+), and they provide yukata rental and dressing services as well at less than $10! (KYAAAAA) They do encourage people to wear their own yukatas though, so I went to look up on yukata shops online, and ended up mesmerised by picture after picture of pretty yukatas (which aren't very cheap, priced at least $60 - $100+). 

But to go all the way to Changi is crazy! Oh and apparently due to AVA regulations, goldfish scooping is not allowed anymore. Guess I'd have to go to Japan to try it then! Perhaps I should write a letter of suggestion to the JAS about organising Natsu Matsuri at Japanese Gardens instead in future :)

Recently I've been reading manga to destress a lil from studies, and my latest is Inu x boku SS which revolves around a group of half-demon half-human people who possess powers and stay at the Maison de Ayakashi, a high class apartment building for these Ayakashi to protect themselves against pure demons who attack them. I love all the characters to the point where I can't determine which is my favourite! 

But one of the characters Watanuki Banri made me like the animal Tanuki! (WaTANUKI) Watanuki is a character who wants to protect his loved ones especially his childhood friend and love interest Roromiya Karuta (ironic cos Karuta is WAY stronger and scarier in her demon form). However he is pretty weak because his demon form is a super adorable Tanuki with a leaf on his head:



So cute!! Another anime character from another anime is also represented by the Tanuki - Kim the witch from Soul Eater!

Compare that cute little animal to Karuta:

 It's almost hilarious and it seems like their demon form should be swapped since Watanuki looks like a delinquent while Karuta IS SO ADORABLE! MANIACCC!! (Nobara says this when she sees cute girls like Karuta!)

Oh dear I'm getting too carried away. I finished the manga up to the latest chapter so far so I'm not too worried about being distracted.

I'm also watching SAO II every Sunday when it's released. The arc is now Gun Gale Online (GGO) where the new character Sinon (the one with turquoise hair) is featured! 

I recently cut my hair short and while it didn't go the way I wanted it to be (shoulder length and mature looking), I now have an anime-Jap character look cos it's so short and layered now, almost like Sinon's, especially if I use pins to tie the hair on the sides. The opening song for SAO II is really really awesome - Ignite by Aoi Eir, the same singer who sang the second opening for SAO!

I realised I've gotten back all my Japanese craze and obsession, after a long hiatus being caught up in the K-craze (which is still there in me but fast dying out) and indie music (which I still appreciate)! I guess it's a good thing because it's what I've originally enjoyed back in primary school when I had many many friends who shared my interest until I entered secondary school where anime lovers were mostly the anti social "nerdy" boys and the girls were all crazy over K-pop bands and dramas.

No comments:

Post a Comment