Sunday 21 June 2015

Making a turn down a new path



I sometimes view living as a journey we take, running or driving along the path of life. Roads converge and diverge along the way and we meet new people and say goodbye to old friends. We travel with some and share experiences together, and may part ways at the next road diversion to meet new travelers on another path. 

I had my last day of work at the Zoo last Wednesday.

Honestly, I am very, very relieved that I'm finally free from this job. Work at the Zoo (especially the Operator job) was very trying and discouraging at times. 

However, there're always two sides to a coin. Even though I was really sick of dealing with difficult guests and coping with a daunting workload every work day, what really got me through were the friends I made during my 5-month stint at the Zoo. 







I remember starting my first day at work worrying about getting along with my colleagues, most of whom are around my age. I'm an introvert, but I can pull off being an extrovert in social situations though it would greatly sap my energy. I smiled a lot, kept up with that cheerful friendly exterior and made myself speak out during lunchbreak even though I was greatly tempted to eat my food in silence like a churchgoer in fervent prayer. My efforts paid off and eventually I made friends with all the regulars. I didn't even have to force myself to be outgoing anymore since it was already natural for me to laugh and joke along with them whenever I saw them.

Another thing that I'm really thankful for was the fact that my friends didn't "discriminate" me. Most of my colleagues attend polytechnics (especially the interns) and ITE. I'm not implying that people who attend JCs are necessarily better than their peers who study at polytechnics and technical institutes. However you've got to admit that in Singapore it's pretty common for the scenario below to happen:

A: So you're still schooling? Where do you study at?
B: Um... xxx JC.
A: Waaaa JC siol! Smart kid eh!
B: *awkward smile / laugh* no la...
A: Can go JC must be very smart one lor!

Again, I emphasize in no way do I view my non-JC peers inferior at all. In fact, I was able to chat and joke with more ease compared to my own school mates. Even though the above situation did happen to me countless times whenever I talk with my colleagues or meet someone new, my friends never treated me differently. I was even able to develop and show a different side of me to my friends - one that I rarely show to my other friends. Most of my friends from school see me as a serious individual who's just nice and ordinary.

I guess that's the thing about meeting different people. They say the people around you sometimes shape your personality and I guess that's true. I don't think I could ever be wild and crazy around certain groups of friends, lest they walk off and pretend  not to know me HAH.

I think I've changed slightly after meeting my colleagues at the Zoo. I've always cut off contact with a class or a group after "graduating" from them forever because I need to 'move on'. However I feel as if I could remain in contact with the new friends I've made. We're all making various plans to meet up for a Night Safari outing, or movie trip or even just a meet-up over food. And instead of dreading these plans and going to them out of compulsion or peer pressure, I find myself looking forward to meeting them again. I'll miss being able to see them regularly during work.

Right now I'm making a turn at the road diversion to start a new adventure and meet new people. I missed the registration deadline for the FASS camp (major ugh). However thanks to my sister Stacey who helped look out for other NUS camps available for me, I signed up for a camp organised by NUS Japanese Studies Society! This might be even more exciting than the FASS camp since I would be meeting others who share the same love and interest in Japan as myself. Hopefully I would make memories as good as or even better than the ones I had with the peeps at the Zoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment