Friday 12 December 2014

Extremes


This probably describes how I feel now. And you'll see why.

These couple of days I've been feeling emotions on extreme ends, and it's unbelievable that this is happening to me. I thought it'd only happen in manga plots or cliche shows.

So yesterday I had my peeps from VJ Guitar Ensemble EXCO over for a gathering, and we all had a blast (though it was a pity Phin couldn't join us due to her mom's gastritis). I was apprehensive about how the food would turn out two nights before, because while I've cooked pasta plenty of times, cooking for a group of 7-8 was different. Mom and I went grocery shopping the day before at Jems and we spent quite a bit because mom insisted on using the better quality ingredients.

I made carbonara and smoked salmon bruschetta, and was really pleased with how the taste turned out. My friends liked it too, and it's great that no one has complained of any case of food poisoning so far HAHA.



Ryan baked a chocolate cake, which we ate after watching Ouijia together with the red wine Bernard brought and juice that Gilbert and Juliana bought, and Phin's J.Co donuts (she met up with Ryan before he came over and passed him the torrented movies and donut - so nice!)


I was a little nervous about not having much to do over at my house, but my friends stayed late till 10 and it felt like it wasn't enough.

After lunch we watched Ouijia, which was really disappointing because of the cliche horror plots (and therefore lacking in the thrill element) and menial scares. Bernard and Juliana were the ones among us who were more easily scared, and I happened to be sitting right between them. And when this jumpscare came out the two of them screamed and grabbed at me WHICH SCARED ME WHAT THE HECK. But it was fun teasing Bernard about it haha.

After the cake and drinks, we played games on the PS3, taking turns to play Little Big Planet, Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe, some soccer game etc. We were all surprised by Juliana who pretty much owned us all in the fighting games even though she's nicknamed the Princess for her very ladylike and gentle demeanor. It was so funny watching them play, and the red wine Bernard brought made me laugh myself silly. Mom and dad were really nice and bought chicken rice for dinner for all of us, and we had a great dinner before resuming the games.

In the last hour (around 9?) we had a heart to heart talk after Bernard gave us our Christmas presents and cards, and I thought to myself that it's just really nice to have friends whom you could talk with for long periods without getting sick. They left around 10, and I heard that they only reached home around 12 because they all live in the east. Now they know my pain MUAHAHA.


From top left clockwise: Yours truly, Princess Juju, Ryan, Bern, and Gillie

I guess life is all about balance isn't it? Because I've had so much fun yesterday, today seems to be payback time. Truth to be told, I don't think I ever had a day so unlucky before today. I have lived a good life.

The EXCO and I arranged to meet at the airport today to send off Bernard and Gilbert who were returning back to Jakarta. I woke up this morning feeling all great from yesterday, thinking that the day ahead would be awesome as well because it's the same company. But while the latter part is true, my day was kinda ruined mishap after mishap such that I was struggling so hard to keep my sanity.

I left the house on time at around 11.30am, and about 5 minutes into waiting for the bus, I realised that I had left my wallet at home, so I had to run back up and grab it. By the time I got downstairs I had missed the bus and the next bus was 7 minutes away. That was mishap 1. So I decided to make up for lost time by cabbing part way to Jurong East MRT station.

Mishap 2: The taxi driver took the long route even though he asked me which route I preferred. But it was too late for me to tell him otherwise and I kinda wasted my $11.50 on the ride which took longer than necessary. My head was throbbing because I just can't stand being late for anything and I get stressed when that happens.

When I boarded the train, I was panicking whether I would get there on time, and my head was hurting more than ever, so I decided to listen to some music on my earphones. I was grabbing my earphones from my bag and putting my wallet into it when I heard a heavy thud. The next thing I saw was my iPhone on the floor with a cracked screen. Mishap 3 for you. And all because I just happened to be standing on the part of the train where there's the metal flooring. Just. Perfect. Even now whenever I use my phone I'm constantly reminded over and over about what a horrible day today has been.

When I got out at City Hall, lo and behold there was bright sun...AND RAIN. The perfect weather for a disastrous day. It was 12.40pm and we were to meet at 1pm at Terminal 1. Sticking to my planned route of taking 36 to Changi would take about 40 min give and take. So under the horrible weather I ran back from the bus stop to the taxi stand and cabbed my way to the destination. 2 cab rides in a day.

Thankfully the cab driver this time drove pretty fast (maybe he saw my utterly ruined expression). On the way I was doling out "at least"s one after another, like "at least I brought some water out to drink and feel better" and "at least we are driving o my favourite high way", which shows how desperate I was to stop myself from snapping mentally and just losing it.

In the end, I was the earliest among all of us to reach. *slow claps*

"But at least I finally made it on time, and I'm in a nice airport, and maybe now that I'm the earliest I could sit in that nice seat and read my book while listening to some music."

Anyway Phin couldn't join us again since she was working, and there were other Victorians who were there to see off the other Indonesian scholars. We all took pictures and hung around to talk, hug, joke around etc. Gilbert's flight was first, so we saw him off first before going to Aston's to have lunch, the four of us - Bernard, Ryan, Juliana and yours truly.

And just when things were getting better with food and awesome company, mishap (I lost count) happened. The zip on my bag broke. So I had to go home at the end of everything from Changi to Yew Tee with a compartment of my backpack open for all to see. I'm surprised though that no one told me to zip up my bag. I could be a walking social experiment haha.

Writer's note : Mishap 1 million and 13 just happened - a gigantic roach flew into the house. Mom caught it. Thank goodness.

We had a great lunch and had more HTHT, until it was time to see Bernard off. I think probably the most disappointing thing today was the fact that two of my very good friends are flying back home. That's the equivalent of a million mishaps. Even though Jakarta is just an hour's flight away and we'd probably see them next year if they decide to collect their A Level results personally, I can't help but feel sad, knowing that they aren't on the same island, on the other side of the same island, at Victoria Hall. And that we won't be meeting up that often as an EXCO anymore.


I really miss you guys now, even the locals :'( Look at my tired face hahaha

Sigh. So here I am in front of the PC screen with a heavy and still throbbing head wondering how "lucky" I was to have undergone such an "eventful" day today. Seriously, don't days like these happen purely in fictional plots? Just yesterday I was having a blast and today I'm all exhausted with a phone that has a broken screen. How very extreme indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment