Friday 25 July 2014

Ambition


I'm still trying my best to take as many pretty photographs and pictures as I can to go with my blog posts. I personally find it so much easier to appreciate a post with nice pictures put in because as cliche and as old as it gets, "a picture speaks a thousand words". At least if you're not one to sit through a whole mass of text, you can probably just admire and appreciate the photos and get a hint of my feelings through them.

So this panorama shot was taken from my bedroom window in the evening as the sun began to set. It was such a quietly majestic and calming scene - I just had to capture it because no two skies are the same. Yours truly went through a lot of trouble to shoot this. I had to grab the window grille key to unlock the grilles and get them out of the way.

Most of you would know that panorama shots require you to move the camera horizontally across a length of scenery, so in order to capture as much as possible, my upper body was hanging out of the window pretty precariously! And mind you, I did this whole upper-body-hanging-out-move-phone-from-left-to-right action not once but SEVERAL times to get a satisfying shot. But it was worth it.

My favourite shot is one where I caught the light of day and darkness of night together in a transition, although it's a pity that the resolution isn't clear. The silhouettes of the HDB apartment blocks added to the whole romantic ambience of the picture :D


Recently I've begun to have a clearer idea of what I want to do in the future.

Previously I've never known what I wanted to do. I only knew what I didn't want to do. I also had various changes in fuzzy goals and ambitions throughout my school life from primary school till now.

I started off with the dreamy and naive desire to be a svelte and pretty air stewardess as a young girl. Then at the end of my primary school life and starting secondary I wanted to be a pediatrician. Somewhere in my first year of JC i had considered joining the army, and now I've more or less got my sights on a journalism career or something related to Mass Comm! More specifically, I'm working towards applying for the SPH undergraduate scholarship next year. It won't be easy - this year only 7 received scholarships from SPH in the undergraduate sector.

It'll be pretty awesome if i can get the scholarship and get into that line of career. Reading some "testimonies" by previous recipients of the scholarship, I realized that I would actually very much enjoy myself. Generally from what I gather, a journalism career involves more understanding and clear conveyance instead of superb language skills. After all, the whole point of the news industry is to convey accurate news and useful information to masses. If i get the scholarship I'd most likely attend an overseas university because I'd want to experience living abroad and being exposed to a different environment and people.

Also I've always wanted to understand and experience as far and as much as possible the different situations faced by people from all walks of life, and journalism would involve getting close and personal to all kinds of people and events. Now that I have a clearer idea of what i want to do, I've been putting in more effort in my reading, getting myself to read the TIMES magazines.

Not only that - I've somehow had the urge to kickstart a daily exercise regime to start slimming down and be healthier. It's not like I've never been motivated to start exercising - I tend to lose motivation after about 2 weeks or so. So hopefully this regime keeps up! I don't think it'll be too difficult since I managed to get a silver for my NAPFA miraculously despite not training at all. Perhaps the fruits of my labour from my military band days have not been completely wiped off.

All in all, I feel much better about myself now since I have a direction now.

No comments:

Post a Comment