Monday 24 April 2017

Skin Weaver

I am a meticulous skin weaver.
On me are many scars and scabs
Sustained from words of spite
Eyes filled with malice
Reaching deep into my flesh

I stand naked in front of the mirror
Over their rough, bumpy surfaces
I run my fingers thoughtfully
How unsightly, how unwanted
I set on weaving a new skin

Flawlessness is beyond me
but faultless this skin will be
No one can pick at anything
So that they wouldn't say those words
Or look at me that way again

I wear this skin with pride
They praise me for it
They know me for it
Oh, if only I could grow
Into this skin

I cloak myself in it with care
Let them appreciate it
But only from afar -
Lest they find you out
Don't run, trip and fall

For it would not do
To rip it apart and reveal
The rotting flesh beneath
That is my insecurity.




No comments:

Post a Comment