Tuesday 14 March 2017

Week 9

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/500040364850528511/

It's Week 9 of school now, and ages since I wrote something! I wasn't really overwhelmed by submissions and assignments to the point I didn't have time to let off steam, but I just really didn't have time to mull over existential thoughts and reflections on life as often as I used to, now that I have more stuff to occupy myself with.

And maybe that's a good thing because it could mean I'm not as prone to negative, melancholic thoughts as easily as I used to. On the other hand a part of me feels a little uncomfortable about not documenting my state of mind in a blog or diary entry for my future self to read back on, since that's one of my significant motivations to write in the first place.

Things have been busy, but I'm fortunate to have circumstances work in my favour to complete stuff and produce consistent results at a steady pace. I feel like a little boat contentedly floating atop peaceful waters (and at this point a part of me is screaming "DON'T JINX IT!"). With each little success I'm blessed with, it gives me a little boost in my confidence to keep up the good work.

The top of my list of "little successes" which I'm really excited about is being selected to go on the annual Japanese Studies Field Studies module in Kyushu this May!

Yearly there's a lot of competition for this module since it's heavily subsidised by both NUS and the Japanese Chamber of Commerce, facilitated by one of the coolest profs I've known (Dr. Mcmorran) and includes events in the itinerary like farm-stays and hot springs :D They only take 10 students each year, and since application is open to anyone across most faculties (even non-FASS), the response would naturally be overwhelming. Of course there are conditions one should fulfil to gain the upper hand, such as being a JS major or minor, having at least LAJ3 proficiency of Japanese etc. I had to go for an interview with Dr Mcmorran, which was really chill since he just conducted it like some casual conversation. So imagine my excitement when I got the email informing me I've been selected XD

I can't wait to go, especially since I've always wanted to visit the countryside areas of Japan. In fact, Hitoyoshi City, which is where Natsume Yuujinchou's location is based on, is in Kumamoto prefecture where we'd be going! Just thinking about all the greenery and fresh air, the pictures I will take to liven up my Instagram feed again makes me SO elated ^^

There are many other "little successes" that made me feel a lot better and confident now, but it'd be a hassle to write them all. Just that...I'm hoping this high that I'm feeling now won't crash and burn, and that I could tap on this current good feeling to spur me to do things I really want to do but never had the guts to. An example that is strong on my mind now is plucking the courage to strike a conversation with the senior from VJ whom I've had the longest crush on for. LIKE srsly just now when I crashed and took a 2 hour nap after coming home from school I had a dream about him (and it isn't the first time too)!? Yknow things like this makes me wonder "Is this a sign :O" and go batshit crazy just weighing the odds of fulfilling that "prophecy" HAHA.

3-4 more weeks to go before I'm done with Year 2 and prepare to go on my trip to Kyushu :> Let's press on!

No comments:

Post a Comment