Monday 1 August 2016

Summer Dramas

https://w-dog.net/wallpaper/japan-sakura-spring-beautiful-nature-wallpapers-japan-landscape-morning-japanese-garden-cherry-blossoms-lake-water-lilies-tree-flower-spring-bridge-lotus/id/300057/

I wonder if there's a house in real life that looks like the lovely one in the picture above... It's so pretty and homely :) Anyway have you noticed that my blog looks different now? I just felt like having a change somehow, and used my blog as a medium to do so! I like designs incorporating the colours and patterns of nature, hence the wood background and natural colour scheme.

It's one week to the start of a new academic year at NUS again, and I'm not ready. But who truly is, in most situations? We usually just brace ourselves for the start of something and deal with it when we're there, like most other things. There are things that I'm looking forward to though, like meeting old friends and course mates again, and hosting exchange students from Kyushu University!

I signed up for a homestay programme (KUIFA) with the JSS, and will be having a student stay over at my home for close to a week, during week 2 of the semester! I'm kinda nervous, because I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to communicate with her well with my limited command of Japanese. However, I'm sure we'd have a blast anyhow. Her name's Inada Mayuko, and she's a first year Pharmacy student. Since we have a vacant room after Stacey got married and moved out, I figured my family and I could try our hand at hosting a guest at our house :)

Recently I've been into a couple of ongoing summer dramas, namely 好きな人がいること Suki Na Hito Ga Iru Koto (A Girl and Three Sweethearts) and 時をかける少女 Toki Wo Kakeru Shoujo (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time), in addition to the summer animes I'm following such as Orange オレンジ. I'm beginning to like summer a lot more now - it's a season full of vibrancy, rejuvenation and youth - a wonderful respite for my withering soul (pfft haha). And these dramas capture the senses and nuances of summer so well that I'm drawn to them. They're still ongoing, with the former at 4 episodes and the latter at 3. Yet even so, I feel like I must write about how exciting they are!



Suki Na Hito Iru Koto, at a general glance, seems like a drama adaptation from an otome game (dating sim game for cliched romance-deprived females like me) with three potential love interests to one main character. To be honest, that got me excited and interested in checking out the drama because who doesn't like an otome plot! Only me? Okay :( 

Mirei Kiritani, who has become a lot more popular lately, plays Sakurai Misaki, a patisserie who meets an old crush from high school by chance and agrees to live with him and work at his seaside restaurant. Little did she know that she'd also be living with her crush's two younger brothers in the same house. Which of the three Shibasaki brothers would Misaki experience her summer love with? (From anti-clockwise) Chiaki, the kind and gentlemanly high school crush? Kanata, the blunt but talented young cook? Or Touma, the adorable but flirty youngest brother? 

While Mirei Kiritani is a great actress with various notable roles in other dramas and movies, I didn't really like her character in this drama. The exciting part is really (and I shamelessly confess) the interactions between her character and the three ikemen (handsome) brothers. I mean you have Miura Shohei, who was named Japan's Ideal Boyfriend, playing Chiaki! The beautiful and scenic seaside setting of the drama in Shonan is a bonus as well, since I'm a sucker for picturesque locations.



Now this is a drama that I would highly recommend. Toki Wo Kakeru Shoujo is actually a 2016 drama adaptation of a well-known novel of the same title, which has been famously adapted into animated films, live action movies etc. As the title suggests, it's part sci-fi with ideas of time travel forming the foundation of the show. 

Yoshiyama Mihane is a lively, tomboyish girl played by Kuroshima Yuina (she's only 19 and she acts so well!?), who gains the ability to leap through time to various moments whenever she wills herself to. This happened after she fainted in the school's science lab upon coming across some chemical that smells like lavender. The chemical is actually a time-leaping inducing drug that Fukamachi Shohei, a guy from the future, attempted to make after he lost his original vial of drug which allows him to get home to the 22nd century. Shohei decides to attend school with Mihane and her childhood friend Asakura Goro while he makes the drug again, brainwashing them with future technology into believing he's also their childhood friend. The drama follows Mihane's various decisions to time leap and her struggles in doing so, along with a heart-wrenching love triangle with Shohei and Goro.

You can't help but love Mihane's adorable and lively character through this drama! This drama would cause you to experience so many emotions - satisfaction from witnessing the friendship among the three, worry as you watch Mihane make her decisions and disappointment when she doesn't reciprocate Goro's feelings for her! >< 

The theme song for the drama is also my current earcandy - 恋をしらない君へ Koi wo Shiranai Kimi e (trans.: To you, who doesn't know love) sung by a Johnny's idol group, NEWS. I won't put up the whole song - just the ending bit where you can see the characters, with Mihane and Goro (<3) running to class and Shohei in class waiting for Mihane. Oh the feels!



Do check out the dramas if you're interested :P

I've begun to start running again (don't ask me why I didn't start earlier during the summer break ><) after I bought new running shoes!


I don't actually like pink (and this isn't really pink, it's kinda like the same shade of purple as Barney the dinosaur), but somehow I really liked this pair when I saw them! PLUS THEY WERE ON SALE AT 60% OFF so of course the inner bargain auntie in me gave her approval. I told Iggy that I started running, and he said he'd bet one week - one week before I utterly fail and give up altogether. How encouraging! :/ Of course, when people say stuff like that it just spurs you to want to prove them wrong - which is actually awesome. But while I might be able to pull it off for more than a week, two weeks is a different matter altogether huh (facepalm).

No comments:

Post a Comment