Wednesday 9 December 2015

Idle Minds


Echoes rent the air sharply with every step I took as I approached the corridor. I stopped. Before me were numerous identical doors - I had to pass through one of them.

But which? I may not be able to retreat immediately, should I enter the wrong one. With every passing second, the doors seemed to blend and merge into a continuous wall.

There is no time, choose. I could feel someone's gaze on my back, but tempted as I was, I do not turn.

I willed my feet to move again, towards the door my instincts singled out. Reaching out, I place my trembling palms on its wooden surface, and inhaled deeply with shaking breath.

This is it. I could hear throbbing in my ears from the palpitations of my heart. The door gave an extended creak as it revealed a glimpse of what was lying in wait for me, and I took a step forward.

There it was - unmoving, filling up almost half of the space.

I sighed with relief and smiled. This cubicle is clean. :)


Haha it's post semester 1! And now that all the projects and exams are over, I've quite a bit of time to just slack and waste my life away...for this month, that is.

When my mind is not fixated on a task, or worrying about the pains of reality like work performance, future plans, etc.,  it tends to wander into escapades in my imagination, or come up with trash such as the brief passage you just read above. And it isn't too difficult, or doesn't take much for my mind to do all that - most of my thoughts and ideas are stimulated by what my senses pick from around me.

For example, I was in the public toilet at Jems yesterday and became conscious of the actions and mind process that would probably be experienced by a female (I'm sorry to say I'm not well-versed in the affairs of the opposite gender) when she pays a timely visit to the loo. If the toilet is not crowded, females have the leisure of going through and picking the cubicle she fancies most to rest her derriere on. However the real horror comes when there is a line in the toilet and you're waiting for your turn. As you wait, you try to guess which cubicle fate assigns you to, and perhaps you cross your fingers hoping the person before you using the same cubicle doesn't leave behind some bizarre artwork as a warped gesture of welcome, or parting gift...whichever you interpret it to be. On the other hand, the relief from "getting" a cubicle that is clean while seemingly insignificant is one of the best things that could happen to make your day. (Okay I may have exaggerated a little.) Hence, inspired by the public toilet at Jems yesterday, I wrote the passage above!

Idle minds are the devil's workshop. I wonder if this constitutes being idle in the mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment