Wednesday 20 May 2015

11.23pm

It's 11.23pm now - nothing special or out of the ordinary, but I just felt like penning (or typing ._.) some thoughts out. Besides, I've been dead on all my social media - even Instagram, which I was most active on. So let me just discreetly creep in and make a comeback on this platform and express a few thoughts or rant a little.

I've been really tired recently because of my work at the Zoo. The last you've heard about my work there was about me being assigned to entrance duty. Well now I'm assigned to the corporate office as an Operator, whose job scope includes answering phone calls (ranging from general zoo enquiries to calls looking for a staff from some department), replying emails, handling admin like Lost and Found reports, receiving deliveries, dealing with walk-ins at the reception etc etc ETC.

And recently I've been getting shit from a lot of people calling in demanding for overdue refunds, or even just plain rude callers. All that on top of the already heavy workload we are tasked with. From this experience as an operator, I have developed a sharper tongue and firmer stance with unreasonable people and I think that constitutes as being stronger, hopefully. It really isn't easy - I've seen a fellow operator walk off to cry after attending to a call from an unreasonable guest who insulted her. And even when shit piles on us, we still have to press on and answer all the other calls with a fake, practised, pleasant voice while our faces are just plain tired.

So with all these work, all I want to do whenever I get home is just to eat, shower, and lose myself in anime or an Otome game on my phone, then sleep early and prepare for another battle the next day. Which is why I haven't been active on social media at all. All inspiration has been drained from me even though I work in a place where friends and families go to for a good time.

Very very recently though, I've found some kind of new purpose to save me from falling into a dead cycle of work, eat, shower, sleep. Before university starts, I decided to self-learn Japanese. Seriously. So I went to Kinokuniya and invested in a practice notebook and a げんき (Genki) Japanese textbook (that cost me over 60 bucks T__T) and kickstarted my Japanese lessons. I would spend about half and hour daily just practising my Hiragana and Katakana, reviewing and making sure I have internalised what I've learnt by reading random Japanese text on items around me - like the labels on some items at home, or Japanese posts by those Jap instagrammers I follow. It's really great fun to learn something new, be it an instrument or a subject.

Anyway I'll be quitting my job in mid June for good, and will probably take up tutoring to continue earning some moolah. It's a great feeling to be able to say "I'll treat this time." or "It's okay for me to buy this cos it's my own money that I earned" now that I'm earning my own pocket money. It makes me feel more empowered, and more independent. I always hated the feeling of 'owing' someone, or holding back because someone else is paying, even with my own family - pretty much a given since I'm the type of person who hates giving people unnecessary trouble and cannot stand the stereotype of "he's the guy, he should pay for everything".

It's 11.56 now - nothing special or out of the ordinary, but my eyes are closing and I have a battle to fight tomorrow. I will be writing another post in my free time, cos there's still loads I wanna write about! 

No comments:

Post a Comment